urc mondor

Unité de Recherche Clinique Henri Mondor

Evaluation of Outcomes and Quality of Care in Children with Sickle Cell Disease Diagnosed by Newborn Screening: A Real-World Nation-Wide Study in France.

Brousse V, Arnaud C, Lesprit E, Quinet B, Odièvre M-H, Etienne-Julan M, Guillaumat C, Elana G, Belloy M, Garnier N, Chamouine A, Dumesnil C, De Montalembert M, Pondarre C, Bernaudin F, Couque N, Boutin E, Bardakjian J, Djennaoui F, Ithier G, Benkerrou M, Thuret I J Clin Med. 2019;8(10).

<p>This study's objective was to assess, on a national scale, residual risks of death, major disease-related events, and quality of care during the first five years in children diagnosed at birth with sickle cell disease (SCD). Data were retrospectively collected from medical files of all children with SCD born between 2006-2010 in France. Out of 1792 eligible subjects, 1620 patients (71.8% SS or S/beta°-thalassemia -SB°-) had available follow-up data, across 69 centers. Overall probability of survival by five years was 98.9%, with 12/18 deaths related to SCD. Probability of overt stroke by five years in SS/SB° patients was 1.1%, while transcranial Doppler (TCD) was performed in 81% before three years of age. A total of 26 patients had meningitis/septicemia (pneumococcal in eight cases). Prophylactic penicillin was started at a median age of 2.2 months and 87% of children had received appropriate conjugate pneumococcal vaccination at one year. By five years, the probability of survival without SCD-related events was 10.7% for SS/SB° patients. In contrast, hydroxyurea was prescribed in 13.7% and bone marrow transplant performed in nine patients only. In this study, residual risks of severe complications were low, probably resulting from a good national TCD, vaccination, and healthcare system coverage. Nonetheless, burden of disease remained high, stressing the need for disease-modifying or curative therapy.</p>

DOI: 10.3390/jcm8101594